Externships are elective experiential learning courses that integrate class work with real-world experience. Students gain a deeper understanding of law and see first-hand how the law is applied while working under the direct supervision of lawyers and judges in a variety of settings. Through the combination of their own experiences and discussions with other externs in the externship seminar, students not only gain more legal knowledge, they develop practice skills and an appreciation for the professional roles and the ethical obligations of attorneys.
At least two externship courses are offered every semester, generally for between 4 and 7 credits. An externship includes a seminar with 7-8 class sessions throughout the semester and completion of 46 hours of field work per credit. Field work is graded on a Pass/Fail basis; the seminar is graded. Students may take up to 12 credits of externships.
Students are regularly placed at the following judicial externship placements:
- U.S. District Court
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court
- U.S. Immigration Court
- Nevada District Court (Business, Civil, Criminal, Family, and Probate)
- Nevada Department of Taxation, Administrative Hearings Office
Students have regularly worked have in both the Las Vegas or Washington, D.C. offices of Senator Harry Reid.
Students frequently choose the following externship placements
- American Civil Liberties Union
- City Attorneys’ Offices (Henderson & Las Vegas)
- Clark County District Attorney's Office
- Clark County Public Defender's & Special Public Defender’s Offices
- Federal Public Defender’s Office
- Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada
- Nevada Attorney General's Office
- Nevada Legal Services
- Nevada System of Higher Education, Office of Chief Counsel
- UNLV General Counsel's Office
- U.S. Attorney's Office
- U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
Students have also earned externship credit with the following offices or organizations as part of an established internship or law clerk program or in Alternative Placements:
- ACLU of New Jersey
- Bridges Across Borders – Cambodia, Malaysia, Thailand, and Viet Nam
- Disability Law Center, Salt Lake City, UT
- Prosecutors’ or public defenders’ offices: Anchorage, AK; Los Angeles, CA; Orange County, CA; Phoenix, AZ; San Bernadino County, CA
- Domestic Violence Legal Center, Peru
- Federal and state administrative agencies – Environmental Protection Agency – Portland, OR; Illinois Trade Commission, Chicago, IL; Securities & Exchange Commission – Washington, D.C.
- Legal Aid of New York City, Juvenile Division
- Legal Services offices – New York City; Omaha, NE; Palau, Micronesia
- One World Health, San Francisco, CA
- Rocky Mountain Innocence Project, Salt Lake City, UT
- State district or appellate courts: Baltimore, MD; Chicago, IL; Helena, MT
- U.S. District Courts : Marquette, MI; Phoenix, AZ; Salt Lake City, UT
For more information about externships, contact Externship Director, Joanna Medrano at 702-895-2403.